Executive Order 7DD adds licensed dentists to the definition of telehealth provider effective as of April 22, 2020, which is not retroactive to any previous executive orders.
- Allows Medicaid-Enrolled Providers and In-Network Providers for Commercial Fully Insured Health Insurance to perform telehealth by:
- If telehealth services are covered, the provider must accept the reimbursement provided by the health plan as payment in full, and may not balance bill the patient.
- The use of audio-only telephone;
- Waiving any related regulatory requirement that any telehealth services be provided from a provider's licensed facility.
- Permitting telehealth providers to utilize additional information and communication technologies that are HIPAA compliant for telehealth remote communications, as may be modified or revised by the US Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Civil Rights during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Requiring the provider to determine a patient’s telehealth benefits coverage before providing telehealth services, when a patient is covered by a health plan other than Medicaid or a fully-insured commercial plan.
- If the patient is unable to pay for such services, the provider shall offer financial assistance to the patient (i.e., a payment plan).
The CSDA is seeking additional clarification regarding some of the payment provisions of this executive order, including the Medicaid Provider Bulletin outlining appropriate Medicaid billing instructions and Medicare reimbursement. The Medicaid Provider Bulletin and other clarifying information will be provided when available.
It is important to note that this executive order is time limited and remains in effect for the duration of the State’s current public health emergency as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. The CSDA will continue to pursue teledentistry legislation in a future legislative session in order to allow dentists to regularly practice teledentistry.
To learn more about the application of telehealth, and specifically teledentistry, please access the following resources: